Monday 31 October 2011

Ballet


Ever since I was little I was a ballet dancer, because my mum always said that a good posture comes from discipline, and yes, she was so right! Ballet is not only a way of expressing yourself, feeling or wearing fabulous tu-tus, it is a lifestyle. When I reached the age of sixteen I realized I could no longer cope with the sacrifice and slaverism that this fine art demands, instead I chose fashion, another type of stage and theatrical ways that were more suitable for me. I still admire ballet, and dreamt what it would be like if I chose the dancing path, luckily I can appreciate more as an audience that being involved backstage the rigourous and sadistic hard work that is needed for a perfect arabesque or Tendu. Things  and persons are stuck in my mind, like Isadora Duncan, a constant inspiration for me who set dance free from rigid rules and status quo. Les Ballet Russes, a stunning group of dancer beautyful choreograph by the likes of Nijinnsky and costumes designed by Monsieur Poiret himself. The enchanting paintings and studies of ballerinas by Degas, stealing the spotlight in museums like Jeau de Paume, Louvre or Met. A personal role model, not only in ballet but in fashion, Rudolf Nureyev, who was not afraid of anything, including Andy Warhol, who portrayed him bare it all. A constant fashion influence, look no further than John Galliano´s Spring Summer 1999 runway presentation with ballerinas turned models Shalom Harlow and Erin O'Connor going back to their roots in a mesmerizing staging paying tribute to Martha Graham, or Hannah Mc Gibbon's collection at chez Chloé for Spring Summer 2011, where studio excersise-warming outfits were the chic of the crop for the seasonal streets in an array of nudes, greys and camel.To round up my ballet references, may I just say that one of my favourite films is 'The red shoes'! Dance till you die!That would happened to me if I accepted my place in the ABA in New York City!