Monday 18 January 2010

Matryoshkas


Ever since my parents brought me as a souvenir two Matryoshkas in their first trip to Russia, back in 1986, I have been collecting them, counting a number of five hundred and fifty gorgeous and unique Russian dolls(some of them pictured above). I adore the idea of several women hidden inside a big and strong female figure adorned with flowers or scenes of  Zharine times in Russia. I have also become quite an expert on the matter, being able to identify the rarest and most distinguished figures. If you are looking for a special one, look no further than the little shop Petterhoff, located at Saint Germain des Pres in Paris, their selection is the most bizarre I have ever seen, stocking very old style Matronas and Babooshkas. I know that for some people they are considered tacky, but for me they are very nostalgic and stunning!