Tuesday 17 January 2012

Yves Saint Laurent

When you are born a genius, is hard to not be attracted by or aspire to be like one. That is exactly what happens when Yves comes to my mind. I remember once, when I was 10 years old, being asked what I would like to be when I grew up, and with an assured and firm answer replied: " I will take over the maison of Yves Saint Laurent". That was a clear hint for my parents, and also to myself, in a time where ballet, horses and literature were among my amenities in life. Monsier Saint Laurent was born in Argelia, still under French colony rights, in 1936, and created his couture house in 1960 after having an impressive curriculum of contest prizes and a firm position next to Christian Dior, whom will later replaced at his atelier in 1957 at only 21 years old (Is he a prodigy or what?). When creating the most influential pieces of a modern day women wardrobe like the saharienne, the tux, the trapeze dress or peasant blouse, his passion for art shine through every single detail, choice of fabric and colour scheme. Mondrian, Van Gogh or Matisse were a constant reference when brainstorming for an Haute Couture collection. Yves was also a lonely man, even though he had a long time companionship with Pierre Bergé(co-founder of the nowadays global brand YSL or French gay magazine Tetù) his depressive state of mind and his mood variations, found in Betty Catroux, not only a muse, but a confident to guide him through his deepest and most pesimist thoughts. A party goer and `bon vivant´ to the gallery, but an intimate, complex individual at home, Yves usually escaped to his villa in Marrakesh, where his lifestyle transformed from pure Parisian snobitty to refreshing bohemian rhapsody, all wrapped up in petroleum blue paint and surrounded by palm trees and water lillies!
Unfortunately everything has to come to an end. and my dear Yves Henri Donat Dave Matthieu Saint Laurent died of a heart attack in Paris in 2008. I know he is watching over me through his thick resin specs and with his both quirky and shy smile. Adieu Yves!